7.17.2012

The Dream Match To End All Dream Matches, Or Discussion Of Them

KANA. 1\2 of the greatest dream match ever.

(Full disclosure: I root passionately, unabashedly, and shamelessly for both KANA and her opponent in this match. I don't think that will change the way I write this match, but I needed to clear that up before I kept going in this piece.)

One of the beautiful things about this blog is that I get the chance to spitball ideas for this blog of mine on Twitter. For some reason, my mind and my heart has been drawing me to discuss dream matches. For whatever reason, they've always captivated me. The idea that 2 wrestlers who are clearly stars coming together to figure out which one of the 2 is the better has always interested me. And when I think about what dream matches are left, there's really one left. And it's so beautiful that I had to talk about it, write about it, and hopefully do my small part to make it happen.




I think the reason for that is that I ended up falling in love with pro wrestling largely due to the presence of one of these dream matches



It's difficult to really explain to 2012 wrestling fans, who are used to seeing standing shooting star presses and all manner of aerial pyrotechnics, exactly how cool this match was, and how innovative it was. Simply put, in 1992 there was no way possible you could ever envision a match like this happening. It was faster paced than anything on the entire card, smartly worked to a degree that you don't find nowadays in some people's matches (Yes i'm talking about you Davey Richards), and managed to play to the crowd without being defined by its every whim.

But how do we do something similar to this in 2012? With the benefit of those 2 decades of aerial pyrotechnics, and the growing ennui of the wrestling fanbase, it's a lot more difficult to play this trick as well as WCW did it in 1992. But it can be done. It just takes a little bit more imagination.

First off, you need someone who is eminently capable of playing the conqueror from foreign shores here to best the great American hope. We'll get to the great American hope in just a minute.

Now with all due respect to Meiko Satomura, Kaori Yoneyama, Syuri, Jenny Sjodin, Saraya Knight, and even the legendary Manami Toyota, there's really only one person who can play that role perfectly. She's got the right mix of foreboding excellence and the ability to make you believe that she is the best in her entire country. Ladies and gentlemen, the Most Dangerous KANA. If you do it right you can present her as something unique. This gorgeous femme fatale who has the mind and personality of a rabid samurai trained since birth in the deadly arts.



Now then to the  business of finding the American hero. This is harder than you'd think. And unlike the japanese joshis for whom the selection process was quite easy, the American joshi to be her opponent was harder.

Jessica Havok and Portia Perez are far too evil for this plan to work. Cheerleader Melissa, strangely enough, is not heroic-seeming enough for this to work (I love me some Cheerleader Melissa but to say you could root for her as the defender of truth, justice, and the American way is something I would struggle to deal with. Your mileage may vary.)

So who does that leave? Who could possibly be the person that could handle the role of the all-american hero, the one we'd all want to root for? The answer to this is simple.



The personification of all-american goodness and light can be Rachel Summerlyn. (By the way, Rachel, if you read this and find this whole presentation offensive, please feel free to let me know.) The thing with Rachel; is that she looks very much like the girl next door, but wrestles and fights like a rabid pitbull.

The question is this: Where would this match take place? Texas Anarchy Wrestling is too much like Rachel's home turf. The opposite is true for Pro Wrestling Wave in Japan. The only right answer is neutral turf: A place both could get to easily, and where both would be treated as equals.

That place? Shimmer Pro Wrestling. That match would be treated as the clash of titans that it deserves to be. My hope is that it happens, eventually.

No comments:

Protecting Our Boys: Part 1 in a series.

There are few things that chill my bones, and send a lightning bolt of fear through me, as fast as the rapidly-growing fetishization of men...